Picture of Chattanooga

Picture of Chattanooga

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Fort Myers - 20170207

Kim’s Korner:
Sunday, we rode our bikes to the Edison and Ford Winter Estates and spent most of the day touring it. It was interesting to learn how Thomas Edison and Henry Ford became friends as well as friends with Harvey Firestone and John Burroughs – all I could think was my dad would have fit right in with these guys. I have a whole folder of photos from it if you are interested but it could get boring... Let me just say here that an experience is worth so much more than words and pictures so I take these pictures more for myself in hopes that when I look back at them I can remember the experience – I hope that makes some sort of sense to you. When we left, we rode our bikes down McGregor which is a palm tree lined street of homes – some new and grandiose, some older but beautiful and very well maintained. It was a nice ride and on the way back, David saw an open house sign for some high rise condos so we decided to stop and take a look. We went to floor 28 and toured this beautiful condo with views of Marco Island which is 47 miles away (Florida is flat), sunrise views 3 months out of the year and sunset views 7 months from two different balconies– it was amazing! The price was also amazing which was no surprise but definitely a stop worth checking out.
We have eaten at several really good restaurants – one worth mentioning was Ford’s Garage which currently has three restaurants in the area but is growing rapidly. The food was excellent and the atmosphere top notch. Another worth mentioning is the Sky Bar, which is the 4th floor of the Firestone Restaurant. We went with friends, had drinks and appetizers as we watched the sunset – really nice!
Monday we rode our bikes on the John Yarborough Linear Trail Park. It is a 6-mile long asphalt trail which runs along a 12’ wide ditch which has maybe one foot of water at the most. This ditch contained lily pads, fish of all sizes, lots of turtles and of course the birds that were looking for dinner. The one thing that I found interesting was you could see these “bowl type things” on the bottom and there would be a fish in the bowl – I assume it was some kind of nest. I tried to get a picture but I ended up scaring the fish away so I only got one of a “bowl”. You’ll have to imagine the fish sitting in the bowl.
At the end of this trail, there was a connecting path to another park – Lake Regionals Park. It was neat – there was water and little islands all over the place. There were a number of trails that we biked on – some through dense trees and others along the water. A 2.5 feet iguana stood in our path so we stopped and watched him until another bike came in the other direction and scared him off – he sure could run fast! After that, we headed for ice cream, then back to the boat.

5 comments:

  1. Really GREAT pictures!!!!! I wonder what kind of engine they have in that little train???? I need one of those running around my yard!!! The first Banyan trees we ever saw were in Hawaii they are truly amazing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen such a small train that adults can actually ride on!

      Delete
  2. Loved the condo floor plan and website! I related to the chem lab. It's so beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I can see that - you and Jim and thousands of test tubes! I think Maggie would love the lab too!

      Delete
  3. Really enjoying your adventure. I did not know Edison and Ford were camping buddies. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete